Sunday, June 26, 2011

Meat Meat, all we Eat!

I read somewhere the other day that if the whole world ate meat at the same consumption rate as the germans, we would be completely be out of stock in 2-3 months and not be able to recuperate. Honestly, this does not surprise me. 

I am still bewildered when looking at a traditional german restaurant menu, it contains different meat products that are usually accompanied only by sauerkraut or potatoes. Where do they get their vitamins from? Did I miss the memo of how high in Vit C potatoes are?

I have to admit, sometimes there is spinach in cream that you can get (or green sauce as they call it), onions and red cabbage where you might just gain those all important vitamins - but honestly, how many children grew up thinking those were the vegetables that you would rather leave on your plate and forgo having desert/tv/staying up late just so you didn't have to eat them?

To be fair, I did just do my research and found that sauerkraut does have health benefits (http://www.sauerkraut.com/benefits.htm), but that still doesn't sit well with my inner 7 year old sitting at the dinner table refusing to eat that 'stuff'.

Here is a picture of a dinner I recently had in Frankfurt. This is at the END of the meal when we could no longer eat any more meat and this platter was originally piled 3 times higher than is what is seen here. Contained pigs stomach, knuckle, steaks, ribs and shoulder (and some kind of joint we couldn't determine). Yes that is a bowl of sauerkraut in front of it as the accompaniment to the giant meal of meat.


And a few quick snaps of Frankfurt main square as we walked through taken on my crappy phone camera whilst some riot/protest was going behind us on that strangely didn't even touch the news.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free To Comment