Sunday, September 05, 2010

Leaving the land of the Maple Leaf

Today I leave Canada (correction, sitting at Seattle Airport, so technically leaving the States right this second) and start a new life in the German Land.


My packing has been excessive with high $$$ for extra baggage, my departure strangely not filled with tears (yet) and my trip plans are so convoluted: Vancouver to Seattle to Los Angeles to London to Frankfurt with a total of about 36 hours to get there. (My beau at the other end has been warned of potential dragon lady getting off the plane).


It seems this is the start of a very different adventure. I am chasing love (and never considered myself romantic or gushy). I'm changing from an exceptionally self-reliant traveller with my own house, job and independence, to a world with no job, no language skills and no understanding of really what I'm getting myself into. And its SUPER EXCITING!


I was a usual stereotypical Australian (or a less 'country' or television portrayed version of one) converted whilst living in Canada to a much more polite, easily offended Canadian. Now I'm told I'm going to the land of deep respect of personal privacy and no smiles (unless you know someone very personally). As for my accent - who knows what mixed up patterns will end up coming out of my mouth!


Let the adventure begin!


Side note: flying out of a US airport always makes you feel much better about leaving. Not because of the US itself, just the airport process! Once you get through checkin, customs (and power tripping US custom men officers) and many aggressive people yelling at each other, I definitely feel its time to leave.

5 comments:

  1. Good luck! Wish you all the best on what should be a very fun trip. If I don't send you an email in the next day or two with all the info I promised, feel free to poke me.

    I'll keep an eye on this. Looking forward to hearing about your travels (and pub quiz victories of course!).

    -Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the start of your adventure! Can't wait to hear more! (Even if I still would have preferred having you in Brisbane with me. :P)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I'll be reading as often as you are posting...can't wait to hear what bad drug interactions or food allergies or mispronounced German fun you will be sharing! Take care and keep blogging. I promise - no grammar checking from me - not in my job description anymore :)
    -Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea! We can all live vicariously through you. Goodluck on your adventure, can't wait to hear all about it! As for me, I will restrain myself from the mental grammar checks :P.

    Krysha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Claire

    Love it! Love it! Keep up the writing. This is just like your UK adventure via Thailand all over again.
    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete

Feel Free To Comment