Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Creature comforts

Instead of finding something weird to report about Germany, instead I have found something rather decent. The toilets.

Some of you may/may not know, I seem to have a strange fascination for public toilets internationally. Thailands 'no flush, just use a bucket of water' method, also Thailands 'don't flush the toilet paper' policy, Japans squatters & built in bottom cleaners, Italy's Piza was my first experience of the automatic toilet in 2003 and of course the awesome American public bathroom hand dryers by dyson.

Although I loved living in Canada, one thing that I couldn't get past or understand was public toilets.


Canadian toilets have three vital floors:

1. You can see in - the doors have large gaps on each side (hinge and handle side), below and top, so you can see if someone is sitting, standing or doing any other business that is TMI ! To Canada's defence, my boss once told me she liked the Canadian loo encasing as it provided her the safety of not being locked in a claustrophobic jail cell..


Picture I found on the internet that sums it up


2. They are structured like a pigs troff. Longer than your home toilet. Why can't they be the same as ones in Canadian households? And what's with the a gaping hole at the front of it for no particular reason I could see.


3. Cleanliness. Some reason public toilets in canada are treated with the utmost disrespect (for you Vancouver-ites saying "huh?"… one example to prove my point: The Cambie pub bathrooms) and on numerous occasions I thought I'd contract rabies (especially at any pub after 10pm).


In experiencing Germany, thus so far they are satisfying my 'norm'. Here privacy is key - so you get a giant, completely enclosed room to do your business (Including hook to hang bag & coat, often enough room to even change clothes - or take off jacket without touching the toilet seat). Sometimes the Germans go a little overboard with the whole 'privacy thing' but this is one time I'm thankful. The toilets are the same as my house so there is no confusion on what to do and I'm also very excited to report that germany has rotating, self cleaning toilet seats. I'm yet to find one, but when I do, oh that will be my new local spot.


So Germany, as with most of the items in your country, thank you for being clean, private and internationally normal (by my standards).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free To Comment