Sunday, July 17, 2011

Sunday, bloody Sunday.

Ahhhh this would be a perfect day to go check out flea markets, go shopping in a new town, maybe see some art galleries/museums or even try to find some wedding items I need…. but I always forget, thats right, today is Sunday. In Germany, you aren't allowed to do anything other than really eat, sleep, go to church or spend time with family. Sounds relaxing in theory, in 2011 - its actually rather frustrating.
As part of the German Constitution you can find, under the subhead “Religion and Religious Societies,” Article 139, which reads: “Sunday and holidays recognized by the state shall remain protected by law as days of rest from work and of spiritual improvement.” That means even mowing the lawn or washing the car in the driveway is not allowed (unless you have specifically door knocked and asked your neighbours permission not to get upset that you're working - my fiance's friends told me they have actually done this just to get some things done around the house). I have heard from many people who like this or who have adapted to the theory that you 'must' have a day of rest. But I gotta say, least where I come from, I kinda like that I get to choose when I'll take my day of rest - not the government.

Think this is frustrating? Well, all around the world there are outdated laws that we find silly, but often they don't have an effect as they are so outdated there was no need to change them (eg In London, it is illegal to flag down a taxi if you have the plague) but here are some more frustrating laws still existing in Germany that might just hinder the little things you do (not just on Sundays).

- It is illegal to run out of petrol on a motorway. 
- A "quiet time" is observed daily between noon and 3pm when it is forbidden to mow the lawn, wash cars, play loud music or hammer nails. 
- It is forbidden to hang washing out on Sunday.
- A pillow is classified as a "passive weapon" and hitting someone with one can lead to charges of assault.
- It is illegal to tune pianos at midnight.
- You can be fined 20 euros for calling someone an "arse" but 5,000 euros for calling an official a "little Hitler".
- It is illegal to have the ashes of your loved one stored in an urn at home after cremation.


So many comments I want to make on these, but for all those Germans who find it necessary to shoulder barge past me on the street and not apologise, I think I'm now going to risk that 20 euro fine and call them an arse!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free To Comment