Monday, January 31, 2011

Survival of the coldest

The usual things you use to keep warm are jackets, thermals, a beenie/touque and house hold heating units. Since coming back to Germany from warm Australia, the weather has been around the balmy -1 mark with not much chance of warming up soon. So sitting in the house doing my studies, I've gotten inventive to stay warm without having to permanently sit in 16 layers of clothes or burn through what will be a high heating bill. I will expand here on other useful necessities that I have come across to keep my blood moving:


Running the dryer in the house with all the doors open whilst your there to compliment to the household heating.


Leg warmers - let it be said by me who wouldn't be caught dead in them previous to Nov 2010!


Sitting next to the oven when its cooking something, and after. Might look like a 4 yr old having a tantrum on the kitchen floor, but ohhhh so warm.


Ear muffs - totally underrated.


Hot Water Bottles - and if you put them in good a beenie - they last double as long as a normal hot water bottle cover!


Sitting the laptop on your lap - rather than a table… probably not the best for the old laptop, but great for warming my thighs! (it does have 'lap' in the title after all!!!)


Wearing a one-sie (I'll admit it - these are mine http://www.jumpinjammerz.com/blue+ducks/product-9-pajamas/)… covers me neck to toe (including incased feet) and is roomy enough to fit extra layers of clothes underneath just incase someone rings the door bell and you need to pull it off to look slightly more respectable when answering the door.


Meanwhile, on my hunt for warm things, I found you can buy electronic socks…. that may be my next investment!


And that my friends has been how I've maintained blood movement for the end of January 2011!



2 comments:

  1. While it may be freezing over in Germany i frying in the summer heat down under , it's currently 40 degrees.

    The air-con doesn't work so i am realying on fans to keep cool.

    Jay

    ReplyDelete

Feel Free To Comment