Friday, December 17, 2010

The Wonder of Weinachten

Christmas in Germany is a big deal. All the shops start only selling xmas paraphernalia, all the food being sold is wrapped up festively and all the shop windows decorate their displays with some sort of fake snow base with festively dressed mannequins. Its pretty cool and spirited… I've quite enjoyed getting all involved, and found these little gems


If you didn't know, the Teddy Bear was "invented" in germany, and also so was the Gummy bear…. and when its christmas, they too decided to get in on the fun and turn their gummy bear product into "Weihnachtsbären" = Christmas bear.


Somewhere on the way, I think they messed up the mould with "Gremlin Bear" and came up with millions of little scary gummy things that I'm sure are planning on haunting me in my dreams tonight.



Another slightly strangely spun christmas was in the below shop window…. which I found rather un-PC…. this half naked gentleman perched in the window has been decked out in a burbury scarf, fox fur hat, selling pipes and holding a digital photo frame



Lucky for us, with all the other less strange decorations, yummy food, drinks and merryment, we got a 15cm dumping of snow last night and looks like we are heading for a white xmas!



Very white city


Outdoor table tennis anyone?


Being merry in the snow at xmas markets with my boyfriends parents


PS. I also learnt that the song "O Tannenbaum" - means "Oh Fir Tree"! (has a better ring to it in German I see!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free To Comment